Pages

Room 23

A gathering place for those who love the ABC TV show Lost. This blog was started by a group of Fans who kept the Season 3 finale talkback at Ain't It Cool.com going all the way until the première of the 4th season as a way to share images, news, spoilers, artwork, fan fiction and much more. Please come back often and become part of our community.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Lost-Watchmen parallels

I've been reading Watchmen for the first time, and loving it. As I'm reading the beautiful Dr. Manhattan origin Chapter IV, some lines that echo with Lost related themes resonate with me. Figured I'd share them with you as well (I must assume I'm not spoiling this for anyone at this point) :

As Dr. Manhattan sits on Mars, forming the gigantic glass clock, he contemplates his knowledge and simultaneous experience of the past, present, and future.

"A world grows up around me. Am I shaping it, or do it's predetermined contours guide my hand?...In 1945, the bombs are falling on Japan, the cogs are falling on Brooklyn, seeds of the future, sown carelessly... Without me, things would have been different. If the fat man hadn't crushed the watch, if I hadn't left it in the test chamber... Am I to blame then? Or the fat man? Or my father for choosing my career?... Which of us is responsible?... Who makes the world?... Perhaps the world is not made. Perhaps nothing is made. Perhaps, it simply is, has been, will always be there... A clock without a craftsman... I am standing on a fire escape in 1945, reaching out to stop my father, take the cogs and flywheels from him, piece them all together again... But it's too late, always has been, always will be too late."

To me, this is a perfect characterization to the way I understand time from Lost's portrayal. The Losties have always been there, whatever happened happened, and all that good stuff. I think that is the predominating consensus among we Lost-philes, but what do you guys think about this?

BTW, another thought I had while reading this chapter and pondering how fucking cool Dr. Manhattan is: Sylar (from our retarded step-cousin, former fellow pop-sensation series Heroes) is basically a much weakened version of Dr. Manhattan.

Namaste.

No comments: