This week's questions are:
- Do you think any of the candidates (Hurley, Sawyer, Jin, Sun, Jack, Locke) will become the next 'Jacob'?
- Who/what is Richard?
Now, on with the Answers!
Izikavazo @ Not Confused, Just Lost
1) If "Locke" was telling us the truth and the candidate thing is what he says it is then I predict that Hurley will take that role. Our of all of these people I think he is in the best state of mind, and I think he's the person who cares most about other people. Plus he's the only person who Jacob still talks to.
2) He's the butler of the Island. He's there to let you in the door or invite you in and he calls everyone "master". Essentially he's just a servant, he does what he's told because he owes Jacob or the Island something. Probably he was dying and Jacob saved him and made him swear to protect the Island.
Vozzek69 @ Things I Noticed
1) Jack will become the next Jacob. There are some really cool parallels and even some dialogue that I think points to this.
2) Richard... he's nothing more than a man who's been given a gift. I've got a feeling he'll lose that gift before the end of the show. Hopefully he won't shrivel up instantly and turn to dust, like in other movies. That would be way too cliché.
Paul Burrows @ Room 23
1) Well when Flocke said “Don’t tell me what I can’t do!” it made me start thinking that just maybe MIB taking the form of Locke is having a detrimental effect. What if Locke's personality is going to slowly take control of MIB and there will be an eventual war of emerging personalities with the original Locke eventually being reborn in the Flocke body and vanquishing MIB. Then eiher Locke or Jack will take Jacob’s role and the other will take Richards role.
2) Well we know that Richard has been a recruiter for the Others/Jacob. He met with little Ben on a few occasions and even saved his life in the Temple Pool. He recruited Juliet and he made a number of attempts to recruit Locke.
Lostpedia says on Richards page: "In the Season 3 DVD commentary for "The Man from Tallahasse”, Richard Alpert is described as someone who is not interested in leading the Others but is very influential in finding and selecting a leader. He is described as being similar to a Panchen Lama choosing the next Dalai. He and Ben keep each other in "check" by having the power to pick/veto each other's replacement on the Island. Ben's role would be to pick the next Panchen, should the need arise. This keeps the two in a sort of balanced power relationship. They are allies, yet they have some measure of control over the other should one get out of hand."
I would assume that he had the same relationship with Widmore and Eloise and if Locke had not flashed he would have had the same relationship with him. As for Richards’s origins I would assume that the Black ship that Jacob and MIB saw was the Black Rock and that Richard was probably the captain of the ship. He probably was given the gift of immortality after agreeing to be Jacobs’s advisor and go between to the current leader of Jacobs people (The Others).
Karen @ Karen's Lost Notebook
1) I’m not sure that becoming the “Next Jacob” is completely the point of the war or even if the goal to “win” the “island” is the end all prize either. I do see the ugly war coming, sides being chosen, alliances being made and it seems that certain candidates are positioned to take on a certain role; one very well may be to become the new “Jacob”.
I trust the battle is to ultimately bring peace back to the “island” under the leadership of the rightful leader. I say this because it is very possible the people of the island have been following false gods or in other words the wrong guy, for a very long time. After all there can only be one leader at a time.
I feel Hurley may be very important to the end game but that wouldn’t make the roles of Sawyer and Jack any less important. We learned over the past couple of weeks that Hurley is in a role of leadership, so that could be important info to keep close at hand. I feel Jack will step up his game as he inches closer to “Home”.
And of course there is Locke who is on a mission and may still be in the running to not only save himself but save them all. But what the heck do I know?!
2) At this point I only know that handsome Richard is a guide, advisor and a recruiter. He takes his role very seriously. And whenever he decides to bottle up his “fountain of youth” formula, I’ll be first in line to buy it!
Benny @ Finally Lost
1) I think Jack is destined to become the next Jacob. The show has clearly been all about Jack from the start. He was the original leader, he has had the most "centric episodes" and all the connections seem to go through Jack. If you've read my blog then you've witnessed my painful Jack-Journey and you understand how difficult it is for me to anoint Jack as the next Jacob. During the course of 5 seasons, Jack has done a Sawyer/Jin-like turnaround only in the wrong direction! He went from, "Cool it's Charlie from Party of Five" to "Why isn't he leading??" to "Why doesn't he listen to anyone??" to finally, "Damn he cries too much and I'll never forgive him for killing Juliet!". Despite his shortcomings this show has always been about Jack and I think convincing everyone to allow him to set off the nuke solidified him as Jacob's number 1 stunna.
2) Clearly Richard Alpert is the former top model for the island's Maybelline Eyeliner Contest. Jacob chose Richard but the Man In Black thought Dogen was the better choice. In the end Jacob's man edged out Dogen in the voting by a score of 16-15 and a bitter MIB has been trying to kill Jacob ever since. QED. This is Lost so anything is possible, however, I think the right answer is that Richard was a prisoner on the Black Rock while Dogen its captain. For whatever reason Jacob decided Ricardus would be his dotted-line advisor (*cough* admin) leaving Jacob enough free time to spend the next two centuries looking for a successor. A friend of mine once noted that he'd love to see an Island Org Chart and I think it would be a great exercise to put one together.
Chris @ SuperDuperStream
1) I'll be going into this in more detail for my write-up, but definately Hurley. I have always had him pegged as the most important character in the show, and in terms of this List he is the only one with a full connection to the numbers. He has also transformed himself from the comedy role into a bona fide leader. Hurley gets my vote.
2) Richard is as much of a fool as Locke and Ben. He is another human who, I guess, suffered from some form of lethal ailment - compare to Ben's tumour and Locke's paralysis/gunshot wound. He was healed by the Island/Jacob/Smokey and has dedicated himself to blindly following their plan(s) ever since. He is nothing special, unfortunately - just another pawn, only older and more blinded than the other pawns.