Pages

Room 23

A gathering place for those who love the ABC TV show Lost. This blog was started by a group of Fans who kept the Season 3 finale talkback at Ain't It Cool.com going all the way until the première of the 4th season as a way to share images, news, spoilers, artwork, fan fiction and much more. Please come back often and become part of our community.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

108 Objects from Flight 815 T-Shirt

I was approached by Threadless to promote one of their artist Natan W Pyles Lost themed shirt and I wasn't going to mention it here, but after looking at it I actually really love the thought and devotion paid to toward Lost with how he picked out 108 different objects from the show and put them into the shape of the broken up Oceanic 815 plane. Just great work.
This is the write up they sent me which is the artists own words about his thought process.

"I'd originally set out to create a giant, chalkboard-size differential equation that 'explains' the ultimate mystery of the show, using symbols from the show - a polar bear (minus) fish biscuit (times the square root of ) the lighthouse, and on and on to a tongue-in-cheek payoff I hadn't yet determined - probably something about telling Locke what he can't do. As I drew more and more symbols, I realized the equation was unnecessary and I could make the items into a mosaic.

It was so easy because LOST is full of instantly recognizable symbols and physical, tangible things - a broken airplane, a set of knives, a wheelchair, a metal case, the Virgin Mary statues. It wasn't a stretch at all to come up with 108 references - especially because there are so many LOST fans in the Threadless community that helped by using the blog forum to send me suggestions for more symbols.

So the design is a tribute to the very visual nature of the show - stark black and white, physical conflict - (gun beats knife, smoke monster beats gun!) and the physical items that in many cases tie a character to his/her checkered past - Charlie's Drive Shaft ring, Kate's toy plane, Sawyer's letter (He's a complex guy, sweetheart)

I'm a huge fan of the show - in fact, I work in television, and a dream job would be to work on or write for a brilliant series like this. As I worked on the design, I went back to the very beginning and started watching the episodes straight through again. I'd forgotten how much I love the simplicity of the first few seasons - "Guys, where are we??" - but I also love the added layers of intrigue and mystery with each successive season, and of course I'm sad to see it end.

So I hope the shirt (and hoodie) can help soothe the sadness just a little bit and we can carry on in the midst of our impending LOSTless state. In the words of Hurley, "Let's look Death in the face and say, 'Whatever, man!'"

No comments: